Tuesday 21 February 2012

Contact Sheet

For my front cover I took the images in a graveyard, as it was a dark setting with plenty of walls as a background. The brick walls were quite plain in most areas, with small details of graffiti dotted around. I decided to use a more plain background to photograph my model against as in classic rock magaines such as Uncut and Mojo, majority of the time the artists featured on their front covers are photographed against a plain background. This brings out the facial expressions of the artist/band featured on the front and draws you in. I also took a lot of shots where there was eye contacts with the camera, this is because other classic rock magazines have done this as a way for the artist to connect to it's intended audience. I have mostly done upper mid-shots or close ups, as you can see the emotions and body language used. The reason that it's important to use shots where the intended audience are drawn to emotion is to represent the type of music that that band/artist produces. For my front cover, I managed to get shots that were serious shots, or sometimes serious shots with a hint of smiling in them. This represents the type of music that "William Stone" makes as quite serious, however he has a soft side to him, and overall a nice personality.  The reason that I took all of the photos in colour was just in case I decided that I wanted to edit and play around with the colours, then afterwards turn the photograph black and white using Photoshop. It just gave me more options, than if I were to take all the photos in black and white. In some of the front cover shots I have the model hold a pair of drumsticks. Just holding the pair or drumsticks represents his solo career. By it only being him in the picture, it shows he is the only person that's creating the music and no one else. 
I have also taken photographs of myself, this is so that I can make a small badge for the band "Citrus Cream" which is another eye catching feature of a magazine. Classic rock magazines have also used this feature, especially in Uncut magazine. It shows who the band is. Also the small image helps paint a picture of who they are e.g. appearance, age and identity. I have taken photographs with me wearing a silly red cowboy hat, and a sailors hat. Representing "Citrus Cream" as a bit whacky and obscure with their ideas. 
I took a set of photos showing the instruments used by William Stone, with him playing them. It shows that we can explore what he does, that we aren't completely shut out of how he produces the music, although he does prefer to work alone. Again, I took the images in colour so I had a wider range of options to edit the pictures later on in Photoshop. I lowered the shutter speed in order to capture the movement of the drumsticks as he was banging about the drums. These photographs represent him as very much a solo artist, putting songs together via recordings and a computer. In majority of rock magazines, the images for the double page spread aren't usually the band members playing with their instruments, unless its a double page spread reviewing the most recent gigs. So I decided that since William Stone was solo, he performed for himself at home, like a home gig, as when he's live he gets help from specifically chosen band members to help him. So I thought it would be a true representation of his work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment